OPEN Program【Announcement of "Programming Boot Camp (PBC)", a part of ToTAL/OPEN Programs and Call for Attendants for the Briefing Meetings】
Updated: July 26, 2021
This is an announcement of "Programming Boot Camp (PBC)", a part of ToTAL/OPEN Programs. This program aims to enhance your "leadership" to develop and execute new value into society through practicing developing web application proposed by yourselves.
<Programming Boot Camp (PBC) - Development Phase>
During this phase, students will develop a web application proposed by themselves in 4 days (1 full day + 3 day camp) in the coming December. The contents of the web application shall be proposed by the students. Students are asked to form a team of 3-4 and make a development plan. During the 4 days, web application experts will support the students. In the end of the 3 day camp, the most excellent team will be selected by all participants. This phase is compulsory for all students who applied to ToTAL's course of "Practical Group Work for Leadership I/II <F>".
<Programming Boot Camp (PBC) - Learning Phase (voluntary basis) >
In order to develop web application smoothly in the Development Phase by web application beginners who have no knowledge on coding and language, we are offering a PBC - Learning Phase program for students in Oct-Nov (5 classes). During this phase, students will learn "application development with "no code tool" through lectures and exercises by web application experts. By using this tool, students will be able to develop web application by making UI on the browser even if the students are not familiar with codes for programing. Even so, since minimum level of knowledge about programming is needed, fundamental knowledge will also be taught during this phase. This phase is for students who want to join (voluntary basis) and will not be counted as a part of ToTAL course of "Practical Group Work for Leadership I/II <F>".
Agenda and schedule of both "PBC-Development Phase" and "PBC-Learning Phase" are referred in Article 3 of "Outline of Programming Boot Camp (PBC) 2021" below.
[ZOOM Briefing meetings of this course]
Outline of the course, schedule of the program and how to apply the program will be explained during the briefing meetings below. If you are interested in applying to the course, or joining the program as OPEN students, please resigter to attend this briefing meeting from the Google Form below. ZOOM URL will be informed you upon application.
- Briefing Meeting #1: 16/Aug (Mon) 18:15-19:15
- Briefing Meeting #2: 4/Oct (Mon) 18:15-19:15
If you are interested in joining the Briefing Meeting on either 16/Aug or 4/Oct, please apply from URL below:
Google Form for registration: https://forms.gle/EJA9MKQE6b2mhEpz5
1. Students should choose either Category I or Category II below, and to submit an Application Form;
■Category I: Students who want to join the program by proposing web service to be developed (less than 2 members)
- Application Form should be submitted by less than 2 members.
- The team may recruit 1 student in Category II as the result of 14/Oct Team Building meeting in following II. 1.
- If the team is selected as the result of 18/Oct pitch in following II.2., the team may accept 1-2 students as new member from the team which is not selected.
- Students who are going to apply to ToTAL's course of "Practical Group Work for Leadership I/II <F>" are strongly recommended to submit an Application Form in this Category.
■Category II: Students who want to join the program by joining development work on the web services proposed by others (individual)
- Students should attend both the meeting on 14/Oct and the pitch on 18/Oct to negotiatie with the team which you want to join.
[POINTS to be considered]
I. Please attend following 2 meetings after submitting the Application Form
1. Presenting web service idea for Team Building:
■Date & Time: 14/Oct (Thu) 18:15-20:15 @ O-okayama campus (or ZOOM)
- Presentation on web service idea by applicant in Category I for team building
- Students in Category II should attend the presentation to decide on a team to join
2. 5 min. pitch for web application idea and team selection:
■Date & Time: 18/Oct (Mon) 18:15-21:15 @ O-okayama Campus (or ZOOM)
- 5 teams to be selected as the result of short presentation about web service idea by Category I applicants (team)
- Pitch time will be less than 5 minutes (slides, written in both Japanese/English or in English only, can be used)
- Selection will be made by Guild Works experts and Prof. Yamada by considering load and possibility to materialize the idea within program timeframe. ToTAL students and the students who apply ToTAL course of "Practical Group Work for Leadership I/II <F>" may have priority.
* Although we want to proceed this program on usual "face-to-face" basis, the program may be changed to an on-line program depending on the situation of COVID-19.
* Contents and agenda of each program days should be referred in following "Outline of Programming Boot Camp 2021"
Outline of Programming Boot Camp 2021:
1. Purposes of "Programming Boot Camp 2021":
(1) To practice your own "leadership" for developing and executing new value through developing your new web service idea
(2) To understand basic concept for designing new web service
(3) To understand fundamental rules and codes for programming user interface and materialize your new web services
(4) To foster "teamwork" to maximize results
2. Features of "Programming Boot Camp 2021":
(1) This program was started in 2015 and this year of the program will be the 7th.
(2) Students should form a team of 2-4 members and engage in developing their idea of new web service.
(3) Members from Guild Works, web application development experts, will provide leading edge lecture on programming and support students on their development.
(4) The program will be designed as 2 phases; "Learning Phase": Guild Works to provide lecture and exercise for improving students programming capability to be used for later phase, and "Development Phase": Students engage in development of their web service idea with full supports by Guild Works experts.
(5) Beginners in programming are welcome.
3. Contents and Schedule about "Learning Phase" and "Development Phase":
(1) Learning Phase
- Lecture and exercise on rules and codes for programming to be needed in following "Development Phase"
- Only for the students who want to join (voluntary basis)
- "In-person" type of classes are essential, but "on-line" might be considered depend on situation
- Contents and Schedule
(2) Development Phase
- Students will concentrate their development activities with advises and suggestions from Guild Works experts
- The classes of the "Development Phase" are the contents of ToTAL's course of "Practical Group Work for Leadership I/II <F>". (Non-ToTAL students may also register to this course. Students may join the program without course registration, but credits are not granted in this case.)
- Day 2-4 are designed as a 3-day camp (Participants who do not apply to the course above are requested to pay lodging cost of around JPY25,000. Depend on COVID-19 situation, the classes may be conducted on-line (ZOOM).
- Contents and Schedule:
4. Programming Languages to be used:
HTML, CSS, Java Script （If you want to use other languages, please contact Prof. Yamada.）
5. Web application development experts:
(1) The following experts will support the students.
(From the left, Mr. Ueno Mr. Kim Mr. Imahashi Mr. Kyogoku)
(From the left, Mr. Koshi Mr. Hara Mr. Sasaki)
(2) All lectures and supports by those experts will be made in Japanese. If your team has non-Japanese speaking member(s), please help them.
6. Web applications developed in past courses and reports:
(1) Student reports on PBC - Learning Phase in 2020:
(2) Student reports on PBC - Development Phase in 2020:
Please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Yamada if you have questions:
e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
ZOOM office (15:00-16:00, week days) : https://zoom.us/j/732587751?pwd=WlYyTEkzUElVTjd3bCtrNjNWRFE0UT09